The power came on for 10 minutes last night then went off. When it came on a half hour later, we thought it would hold. An hour after it had been on, I literally stood up to make a cake and the power went off again. That was at about 6:50pm last night.
So here we are at the library, along with all the rest of the Covington residents. The kids have been reduced to doing homework; they have nothing else to do and it's cold at the house, the fun snow is just a sloppy mess now.
Besides homework at the library we were discussing how things could have been worse: I could have made the cake and have just been putting it in the oven when the power went out; I could have made the cake and it could have been in the oven partially done when the power went out. See? There are so many things that could have made having no power worse than it is.
To top it off, our only heat source when the power is out is our gas fireplace insert. It chose yesterday to spring a gas leak. I smelled it when my husband was getting ready for work, but quite honestly I thought our septic tank was going bad. It smells like rotten eggs and when I got up about three hours later, I was sure bad things were happening to our septic when I went out into the living room. I got my youngest and her friend up at the ungodly hour of 8:00, just to come smell it, so I could be sure. (Well, I initially woke them up to literally check for signs of life before I made them come smell).
The smell was in the hallway and in the entry way; which would be odd considering the septic tank was on the other side of the house. As I got closer to the fireplace, it all occurred to me. I shut the gas valve off that feeds the fireplace. Then it took me the rest of the morning to get rid of the stench. I wasn't even sure it was the fireplace and at one point and had to get the neighbor to come over and smell, just for a fresh nose.
I called my husband who pointed out that the stench is more powerful than the leak so you can smell it long before it could kill you. Hmm? Not sure that was comforting or not. My mom was worried and ready for us to move out. I told her we'd go to a hotel if we had to, but that I wouldn't leave until my husband came home from work. I mean, why should rush home from work and die along with us?
No really, by that time I knew it had been the fireplace and was on top of it. Besides the CO2 alarm hadn't gone off and the bird wasn't dead. Miners used to bring birds down into mine shafts to check for CO2. If the bird died the miners would hustle themselves out of the mine.
Okay, now I'm just being deliriously morbid. It must be the cold or my skewed perspective on life. My neighbor called me before I came here. She told me how they had their wood fireplace going and a generator to keep their fridge running and kids' movies playing. I told her how we still have hot water when the power is out.... she said "lucky dog."
I better just quit while I'm not ahead.